PersonDr. rer. pol., Universitätsprofessor
- Phone: +49 241 80 96185
- By appointment only
Having studied business administration and computer administration at the University of Mannheim, Michael Schneider received his doctoral degree from the Technical University of Kaiserslautern in 2012. From 2013 to 2016, he worked as assistant professor in Logistics Planning and Information Systems at the TU Darmstadt, where he also obtained his venia legendi in business administration. Since June 2016, he holds the Deutsche Post Chair of Optimization of Distribution Networks (DPOR) at RWTH Aachen University.
Michael Schneider‘s research concentrates on the development of heuristic and exact methods for logistics optimization problems, especially in the fields of transportation, location planning, and warehouse management. His special interests include the routing of electric vehicles, the design of service territories, and the development of metaheuristic methods for location-routing problems. He has published several articles on these topics in renowned international journals such as Operations Research, Transportation Science, European Journal of Operational Research, and OR Spectrum. Michael Schneider is communication chair of VeRoLog (Vehicle Routing and Logistics Optimization), which is one of the largest working groups of EURO (the Association of European Operational Research Societies). He is also subject editor for the journal Applied Mathematical Modelling.
- Quantitative modeling of decision problems in logistics, production, and supply chain management
- Development of effective and efficient planning systems based on metaheuristic and exact optimization methods
- Transportation planning, especially vehicle routing
- Location, territory, and network planning
- Warehouse and production management
- M. Schiffer, M. Schneider und G. Laporte (forthcoming): Designing sustainable mid-haul logistics networks with intra-route multi-resource facilities. In: European Journal of Operational Research.
- I. Zulj, S. Kramer und M. Schneider (forthcoming): A hybrid of adaptive large neighborhood search and tabu search for the order-batching problem. In: European Journal of Operational Research.
- H. Abedinnia, C. Glock, E. Grosse und M. Schneider (2017): Machine scheduling in production: A tertiary study. In: Computers & Industrial Engineering, 111, 403-416.
- H. Abedinnia, C. Glock und M. Schneider (2017): Machine scheduling in production: A content analysis. In: Applied Mathematical Modelling, 50, 279-299.
- G. Desaulniers, F. Errico, S. Irnich, and M. Schneider (2016): Exact algorithms for electric vehicle-routing problems with time windows. In: Operations Research, forthcoming.
- M. Schneider (2016): The vehicle-routing problem with time windows and driver-specific times. In: European Journal of Operational Research, 250(1), 101-119.
- M. Schneider, A. Stenger, F. Schwahn, and D. Vigo (2015): Territory-based vehicle routing in the presence of time window constraints. In: Transportation Science, 49(4), 732-751.
- M. Schneider, A. Stenger, and J. Hof (2015): An adaptive VNS algorithm for vehicle routing problems with intermediate stops. In: OR Spectrum, 37(2), 353-387.
- D. Goeke and M. Schneider (2015): Routing a mixed fleet of electric and conventional vehicles. In: European Journal of Operational Research, 245(1), 81-99.
- M. Schneider, A. Stenger, and D. Goeke (2014): The electric vehicle-routing problem with time windows and recharging stations. In: Transportation Science, 48(4), 500–520.
- M. Drexl and M. Schneider (2014): A survey of variants and extensions of the location-routing problem. In: European Journal of Operational Research, 241(2), 283–308.
- M. Schneider, B. Sand, and A. Stenger (2013): A note on the time travel approach for handling time windows in vehicle routing problems. In: Computers & Operations Research, 40(10), 2564–2568.
- M. Schneider, J. Grahl, D. Francas, and D. Vigo (2013): A problem-adjusted genetic algorithm for flexibility design. In: International Journal of Production Economics, 141(1), 56–65.
- A. Stenger, M. Schneider, and D. Goeke (2013): The prize- collecting vehicle routing problem with single and multiple depots and non-linear cost. In: EURO Journal on Transportation and Logistics, 2(1-2), 57–87.
- A. Stenger, M. Schneider, M. Schwind, and D. Vigo (2012): Location routing for small package shippers with subcontracting options. In: International Journal of Production Economics, 140(2), 702–712.